Please view each interpretation of The Three Little Pigs:
a) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxoUUbMii7Q
b) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vNk4K3YaIc
c) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAIKG2MpsmE&feature=related
In a minimum of 350 words, please comment on the following:
Which interpretation of the fairy tale is the MOST entertaining to you? Why? What does the interpretation do to engage YOU specifically? What does your attraction to that interpretation say about who you are?
I find the interpretation of "The Three Little Pigs" by John Branyan the most entertaining because I actually wondered how would fairy tales that I loved in my childhood sound if they had been written with a more classic, robust command of the English language. On the other side John brings it up with great sense of humour in very light and easy way. He grabbed my attention from the first second by his introduction about how many words Shakespeare used back thenand how many words person in average uses today.
ReplyDeleteAs I know the original of the fairy tale, I can hear how it sounds completely different and even new to me in Shakespeare's style. It engaged me to think about how stories can be both misinterpreted and interpreted differently. In this case the story is intepreted differently due to the language. When word "language" appeared in my head I immediately remembered the last essay I wrote on "How do we use language to define who we are". That's the reason why my attraction to this interpretation is the strongest one. I realize that this interpretations containing the different style of language says about who I am, as the language I use. In my opinion my preference indicates that I'm ready for and I always am ready to look at a point from different perspectives. Basically, the strongest meaning is that my choice says that I'm open-minded.
Great job of connecting this work to your own essay writing!
DeleteSebG
ReplyDeleteI find third interpretation of the fairy tale the most entertaining to me. It is not only funny but also different from others. Other interpretations are relatively the same as the original one. The third one isn’t. It is not only presented in form of song but also it shows different story elements. Three pigs are three different characters. Each of them has something special and unique. I like that they are different and I like even more that they are funny as well. The first one tries to become a rock star what is really funny because it was living on a farm. And the second one is the most funnies from all of them. Weed smoking pig is something what you an often hear on TV or read in book. And its red eyes made me laugh and the idea of pig living in a trash house with Marley pig is gorgeous. The last pig, in my opinion, ruined the story. It could be more genius or creative. Though when Rambo appeared everything became just fine. This interpretation engaged me because I like guitar music, rock metal trush etc. This kind of music always takes my attention. I think it all says that I’m a kind of person who likes fun and prefer chilling than working.
That version of Three Little Pigs does rock, doesn't it?
DeleteIt surly does.
DeleteI think that the original version of this fairy tale is the most entertaining to me, because it was written for kids by James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps. It is a beautiful story that shows who being a hardworking person can help you someday. That was a lesson that I learnt from this story being a little girl, and I still hold it. However, as I need to choose one of the interpretations of the three little pigs that you present us, the most entertaining to me was the third one. This interpretation shows us a general concept of the story, using rock music and enough easy language. It is a cartoon, but probably not for kids. I think that it was a great idea as people like watching something more that reading. I did not choose “The Three Little Pigs” by John Branyan, because I am not found of classics, actually it is not very good, but it is the way I am. Christopher Walken's Three Little Pigs was very funny, I liked the way he was telling it to the audiences.
ReplyDelete“The little pigs ” by Green Jelly engaged me to think about how the same story can look absolutely different depending on its interpretation. So, as I said before i would never show it to my small cousins, but I would to my peers. It is cool to see how the fairy tales that we were reading at small age are changing through the way we are becoming older. For example, the last time I’ve read original version of the book I was about 7, and now the way we perceive it is also different.
All the choices that we did in our lives tell something about who we are. I like some extraordinary thing, and I think that this interpretation is the different from other two. Also I like music, and music was the main thing of this interpretation, so it caught my attention)
All three versions of “Three Little Pigs” are little bit different and interesting. They show us this story from a very different perspective. As kids we knew fairy tales from one perspective and now we find them more joyful when we watch funny versions of them. I found most interesting the version of “Three Little Pigs” by Christopher Walken. It is really interesting for me because at the same time story is told from different perspective but keeps somehow the childish version of the tale. This version is told completely differently it is funny and unique. It is told from a perspective that adults and teenagers will get and they will laugh at that. I find this version very interesting because with keeping the old traditional way of telling stories, Christopher Walken plays with the story to make it interesting. The way he sits and reads the story is the way the fairy tales are told to kids. It reminds me of childhood when the stories in the television were read to children. When we first see the video and don’t really listen to what he is saying we can even assume that it is story for kids, when it is not. At the same time story is traditional and not traditional, as I said new perspective of looking at the story but in a classic way of telling stories. I think I enjoyed this story more than others because I like the traditional way, and when the traditional way of reading is connected with a new interpretation of the story I find it more interesting than others.
ReplyDeleteI think that all of the interpretations were interesting in some way but the most entertaining interpretation of the fairy tale to me was the one done by the Green Jelly. I think that it was entertaining to me because it seems to be such an abstract idea to redo a well known story of “the three little pigs” into a rock music version. Not only is the idea surprising but also the way the music video was created. The plasticine figure a typically children-like element and they completely contrasts with the music played, which is totally not children-like. On the other hand as you watch it, it sort of starts to work together, creating quite a good music video, certainly an outstanding and noticeable one. This also allows considering the story from a different perspective. As you think about it, from an adult-like perspective doesn’t the story of “the three little pigs” seem to be cruel? If we think about it in terms of morals/ethics or nature point of view we can come up with completely different conclusions. In terms of ethics we are entirely on the side of the three pigs that had their personal rights violated by the wolf entering and ruining their houses but on the other hand if we consider the nature point of view, the situation appears to be different. Wolfs and pigs are a part of food chain so is the wolf’s behavior so incomprehensive and unjust now? This shows the power of language, the same story can be presented incredibly differently just by changing the language even though the content remains the same. Adults would rather identify themselves with the rock-version due to the language and vocal used while the imagery would be quite appealing for the younger audience. I also think that this video to a certain extent breaks the stereotypes since for this type of music most of us would expect a very gloomy and dark imagery even slightly going into the metal music direction. I guess that this is what engages me, as an IB student I’m forced to think “outside the box” and avoid assumptions and stereotyping. This music video is a great example of that, at same time showing how effective being different might be, because due to that you stand out in the crowd of the grey mass. This is important in terms of forming your own identity and being independent.
ReplyDeleteThe third option of the interpretation of the fairy tale about the Three Little Pigs by Green Jelly impressed and entertained me the most. This video showed me the completely different version of the fairy tale, which I’ve known just from the childhood. At first moment it grabbed my attention by music. But what can I say is that it’s not the one thing that is interesting about this video. Each pig expresses something individual; they differ from each other in a very specific and original way. The Wolf also is shown like a gangster, which look very funny. The idea of this interpretation is really unique, authors just created what they wanted, what was in the mind, without carrying about any rules of media, I mean they showed some thing that you will only see somewhere on the social networks. The whole story just form the very beginning has many moments that made me laugh. I chose this one video, probably because first of all I like such music. The main thing I can say is that everything you do, you say or choose explains you in particular way, explains who you are. Therefore maybe I got interested because exactly this interpretation has just a rock mood; I even had some fun while watching it. Thus this can tell you who I am and the part of my character. The language of the characters and the way they talk in the video shows us their personality too.
ReplyDelete