Today, May 8th is WORLD ASSEMBLY DAY
GO HERE:
click me!
You need to check out the
SELECT ONE STORY.
In 250-350 words, explain why this STORY MATTERS TO YOU.
In 100-200 words, explain how you feel you might view that issue differently if you were
a) a different gender
b) a different age
c) from a different culture
India: The Digital Divide
ReplyDeleteThis story matters a lot to me. It shows that people around the world can differ a lot and it doesn’t make anyone better or worse. This story shows me that I am very lucky having all I have. This story opened my eyes even more for problems of other people. For us it is normal to have running water in our house. Also in my school everyone has a computer, and computers at school are for free. In India people don’t have running water, people also have one computer in a whole village, and they have to pay for computers at school. We have it all and we don’t even notice how much we have. This story showed me how grateful we should be. We go to school every day and we complain about school, but there are kids who dream about going to school. Mother of the girl showed in the video couldn’t finish school, the girl had to teach father how to read and write. We don’t have to do that, our parents teach us. This story is important for me because as an international student I have to be open for problems of other people. I have to understand that their problems are very important, and my problems seem to be not as important comparing to their problems. This story was more important to me than the others because it talks about everyday life, also it talks about technology we can use every day and many people can’t.
If I were from the different culture this problem would be seen completely differently. People from my culture often can’t believe that there are such problems. If I was from even more developed culture I would be surprised that there are people who have life like this. However, being from a culture like people in the movie would make me understand them perfectly. Where we live influences our lives a lot. We always had running water; we didn’t have to teach our parents. At some point we got own computers and we have them at school. Some kids don’t even have a school. Being from different culture would influence my understanding, I would even understand them in a better way or I wouldn’t be able to understand them at all.
I think that this video matters a lot for each of us, I mean my classmates, cause we are those who will face this problem and look for a good job in just next few years. Of course, we should be thankfully for our parents for all they give us and how much effort they put into our education. Without it we would be nothing. I think education is the most important thing for us and if we understand it and do our best we will achieve our goals and be successful in future. Through this school assembly we can see how children from other countries suffer because of many different disasters like war, killing the nature around, natural hazards. However, it provides more jobs, like taking care of the environment or rebuilding the whole city, for example.
ReplyDeleteOn the other side, we see that it is quite hard to find the place where you would belong to. Until you are living with parents and they care about you, you feel great. But when you have to think about things like food and accommodation, it's much harder to focus on study. Its clear from this assembly that some kids didn't have even shoes to wear. However, those can be difficulties given to them from life, to make them stronger and more hardy.
The other thing I find very interesting about this text is that I truly believe that the best thing to make adolescents understand the importance of some information is making a visual effect. And it is present here. We like colors,music and action. Therefore, we will be more impressed by the video than a boring article. So I consider that this movie is quite successful and hope that after seeing it most of my peers started analyzing it and thinking about what they should do to be sure in them selves.
I guess if I would be different gender,but same nationality, I would thought in the other way. I would care more about my future job, cause in our country mostly men are the ones who keep family wealthy and there's nothing really important depending on women.
If I would be another nationality, doesn't actually matter which gender, probably I would thought differently. I would care as much about my job as the one who cares about his career than the family.
Of course, if I would be older i would spend more time on searching for an appropriate job which will perfectly suit me, cause it's quite hard to find a branch of the subject you would like to spend your time on. It is important cause those who like what they do are more successful than those who hate their jobs.
India the Digital divide
ReplyDeleteI just watched a short video showing a life of an ordinary Indian from a village. As it was shown the people from the villages are certainly more behind then their friends from cities not only in access to technology but also knowledge. A group of researches brought one computer to an Indian village and to a certain extend changed the entire life of the villagers. It could improve children English skills and help them with finding a job letter in their future. I think this is important to me because I can look at in from a completely different perspective. I use a laptop every single day to do my homework or talk to my friends. The life that they live is a completely different reality, I think that it would be simply impossible for me not to have an access to all the information and knowledge that I have right now. Also those people treat computers differently, as it was shown in the video, one computer could change life of the entire village. Looking at my life I think that I treat computer as something obvious or just as a necessity. Children in the village don’t have the same opportunities as I do and they never will. The sad part is that they cannot change it in spite of the fact they try. This shows the importance of helping the poorer countries by the more developed nations, since even one computer per village changes a lot and can even help the countryside to catch up with cities.
I think that culture a significant aspect while approaching this video since I as a person coming from a more developed nation look at this from a completely different perspective. I think that in the European culture in most cases computers are just something obvious while in some other parts of world people don’t even know that they exist. If I consider this from a different age the situation might seem different. As an example now I have a better understanding of the significance of knowledge, as you grow older you start appreciating what you learned more. I also think that woman would approach this more emotionally than men in India there is a big problem of inequality between men and women. It is much harder for them to access the knowledge than for an ordinary man, and this should be changed.
“Lonely runner”
ReplyDeleteI chose this article to talk about because I think it explores an issue, which is relevant and important to me personally. The article doesn't simply tell a story about a guy who wants to participate in Olympics, rather than it brings up ideas, which each reader can find useful and motivated. For the reason, that a topic of the article, which is running a race, doesn’t only have an actual meaning to race against other people. However, it also can have a different meaning for each person. I understood it like doing something to achieve your goal. Running a race - keep going and moving on until the very end, until you come to a point where you want to be.
In the article it says, “Now imagine running that race on your own. Could you keep going at your fastest pace if you were alone?” Especially this sentence made me think about running a race as an analogy to living your life. When you have to put all your effort and try to make the best out of it, when it doesn’t matter if you are going by yourself or you have someone by your side. Although, you still have to give everything you have in order to get what you want. Sometimes, competitions with other people help you to work harder and to do more than you have done before, because you want to see yourself in the first place, not behind someone else’s back.
I definitely would say that different people would interpret and understand this article completely different. One of the factors which greatly affects reader’s understanding of the story is age. I think it is because as you grow up you get more experiences, you learn and see more things, which help you to build yourself as an independent individual. As you live your life, you develop your personality that includes your point of view, beliefs, goals and dreams. Thus, you start to pay more attention to the world around you because you want your voice to be heard and your goals to be achieved. Although, there are millions of people on the Earth so who is going to decide what do we get. Noone. Only you can do it for yourself by choosing a right race to run.
Seb G
ReplyDeleteLonely rider.
There is no story that really matters to me until it somehow is connected with me. I’m playing on guitar and if I would find a story about guitarists or new model of guitar it would much stronger grab my attention and matter to me than a story about someone’s problems. And don’t understand me wrong. I’m not saying that I don’t feel bad when someone has problems; I just don’t bother with them because they don’t apply to me. I still think that some people what say that I’m selfish or something else. It is your opinion and you can have. So why this story matters to. Well it doesn’t but it grabbed my attention. There are so many people in the world and this story is about one of them. One from the whole country. He is kind of unique person. Not like movie stars or popular singers. He is unique because he does something what wasn’t meant to make him known. He is finding solutions for problems and fights them as it is the only way he can achieve his goal. He is a lonely rider because he does something he wants and has to do even if he would have to do it alone. This is something what everyone should be able to do. It is a bit funny how lonely persons get so many people talking and thinking about them and are still lonely, but this is what lonely rides have to face.
a) different gender
b) a different age
c) from a different culture
a) If I was a girl, I would probably think that he is a great man and he is the kind of man that every other should be. I would probably try to find some other problems connected with this story and relate it to everything what exists. I’m sure it is possible but it is not something what should be done. It would be nonsense.
b) With different age everything seems different. I think if I was 5-7 years old, I would start to run around something and tell my mom that I’m preparing for the Olympics. I would not think about any problems. I would only try to have fun. If I was old I would probably respect this man more than I do it now. Old people are paying more attention at these kinds of things.
c) If I was from a different culture, I truly don’t know how I might see this differently. I have no idea how different cultures might see this story.
The Lonely Runner:
ReplyDeletePart 1:
The reason I think this story matters to me is that is has some parallels to myself in life. Like the runner sometimes I want to achieve something. And so I “Run”. But the problem usually is that without somebody to motivate me (Or in the stories situation to compete with the runner) I find myself stumbling and getting tired and bored. I also need lots of self help things in my life like reminders to ensure that I don’t miss anything because otherwise I just stumble and forget.
Part 2: How Would I interpret this story if I was a girl, older, and from a different culture.
I would probably still see this story as I saw it before. But as an adult with reflection on my side this story would change meaning depending on if I succeeded in life.
If I had failed at my dreams then this story would be a reminder of the importance of self motivation.
If I had succeeded I would reflect on this story with positivity.