Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Twife (HL only)

HL only

Read/listen to the following stories on Twitter:
http://www.npr.org/2012/04/09/150068298/simple-tweets-of-fate-teju-coles-condensed-news

AND

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/10/150355105/philly-cops-bust-crime-in-140-characters-or-less

Quoting from both stories (at least 2 quotes per story) answer the following:
How is Twitter capable of changing the way we interact with others?  What others ways do you think we could be using social media like Twitter in our community here at PSI?


(350 word minimum)

 

5 comments:

  1. Twitter is a communication tool that allows many people to communicate in some other way. Personally I am not a very big fan of twitter but I understand what possibilities it gives to people. In the past to inform someone or invite we would have to write a letter, later on we got phones but it would take more time to communicate. Twitter gives possibility to communicate quickly with people and meet a lot of new people. Twitter along with other social networks gives us possibility to be more international. “I wanted people who were not Nigerian to know something about every day in Nigeria”(Simple Tweets of Fate: Teju Cole’s Condensed News). This quote shows that Twitter gave this amazing opportunity to find new people and people could develop themselves. Also they could find some new friends. In our school social media can only help us. The social media can give us opportunity to let other people know what is happening. We can post something quickly about new event in our school and people can quickly reply to us and spread the information. Social media now help the information to spread and new people to find out about something. Now everything is happening faster, we write an e-mail or post something on Facebook, we will not write a long letter to our friend inviting him or her to go somewhere during the weekend. “I found that Twitter was a perfect place to post them.” (Simple Tweets of Fate: Teju Cole’s Condensed News) this quote just proves my point. Twitter helps us to meet new people who we possibly wouldn’t meet in real life. It is hard to meet someone from country that is thousands kilometers away from us. “Murray started tweeting on his own, before the department launched its tweeting initiative.” (Philly Cops Bust Crime In 140 Characters or Fewer). This quote shows that all we need is an idea and then it develops by itself. “Murray says the more that residents trust the police, the more willing they will be to provide information” Philly Cops Bust Crime In 140 Characters or Fewer). This quote just simply shows that twitter and other social networks just help people to get closer and communicate more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology is taking over the world! In the state we are in, its hard to service without technology. Many people dont have the technology that some of us are grateful for but the people who have the technology that gives us things like twitter. Now we basically use twitter and/or other sites to communicate with each other. I think we take advantage of our websites and i think we should continue to use it but in terms of using it in PSI, i think we should find other ways to communicate with one another. I think twitter will hurt us, we are still kids and we want to develop and i think twitter is more for slang things as school needs to be more formal. once we learn, than we can use these sites. for now we shouldn't. I did think the twitter with the cops was a good idea where more people can be aware of whats going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using a Twitter may be not only assumed as a great tool of communication, but also a way to be the first to know what is going on in the world or in your school for example. So I want to say, stay always in touch with all the coming up events. From the second story we heard how policemen start using the Twitter and how it might be helpful even for them. "Tweeting somebody versus walking down three or four blocks to talk to an officer where I know he hangs out is a lot more convenient," Van Helder says. "It's a lot safer, I feel, if I need to talk to him at night."

    On the other hand, it is a good opportunity to express your self incognito and to see how different people feel about your hidden talent. However, you may also do it from the official account page, so your classmates will discover some things about you from the internet. Due to that fact that there is much less communication in real life then in online it is more likely that your peers or teachers will know more interesting things about you from the social website. It is true that people online are more open then in reality, so they may meet more friends online then face to face in the first day of school. I know it because it happened to me :)

    Moreover, Twitter can be very useful in writing any type of text. You may discus you idea online with others or search for more inspiration. We see a great example in the first story, where Teju Cole "I had started doing research for a book that I'm writing...But as I was doing my research I found that there was certain material that I could'n really put into the book...So I started writing
    short stories..." Clearly, that sometimes you may even start working on the one thing, but later come up with absolutely different.

    In conclusion, I want to say that social tool are very helpful. We may use them in many different ways - not just for pleasure, but also for work.

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that nowadays technology and especially Internet and computers have a significant influence on our lives. The most important aspect of this in my opinion is the globalization. We all have a chance to know what is going on in a place located thousands kilometers away from us. Twitter is one of those tools that make it possible. Short and succinate posts can amuse and also inform. As an example Teju Cole’s said, “I wanted people who were not Nigerian to know something about everyday life in Nigeria”. So because of him people had an access to things that they could never see or experience that is an access to a life of an ordinary Nigerian. Tweeter posts can go through borders and reach every single human that owns and computer and have an Internet access, what isn’t anything unusual` in more developed nations. It is also pointed out how much life is changing because of things like that “And our ancestors must be looking back at us and perhaps laughing grimly about how little progress we seem to have made”. Twitter can be used for anything as a new project Teju is posting events that happened exactly 100 days ago on that day. Many people find it very amusing.
    Another way of using twitter was invented by the Philadelphia Police Detective Joseph Murray. He informs the local residents of what is going on in their district, detective points out that “Tweeting somebody versus walking down three or four blocks to talk to an officer where I know he hangs out is a lot more convenient” it is also faster and safer. As the policeman said it also helps with building relations with people that you protect “So people know who you are, you know, and they’re going to trust you more”.
    I think that our school is pretty small so there isn’t a particular problem with people not knowing about things. On the other hand we can still speed up things like for example teachers could tweet assignments or some information and hints how to do better in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twitter is a new way for people to communicate and to get touch with each very fast and easily. In some cases it is even safer and as we can see from one of the articles it can be used as a tool for police to communicate with each other and to update the latest news. In both articles we can observe a positive view on twitter, many people believe that it does not only help to spread the news faster rather than it helps to share with people the information in a brief way by giving it a deep meaning. In the article “Simple Tweets of Fate” it says that “with brevity, the stories gain deeper meaning”.

    Personally, I think that it is a choice of an individual. For the reason that some people like using twitter and sharing their lives. Rather than others prefer to keep their thoughts and ideas inside of them.
    Particularly in our school, I don't think we should use any social media like twitter because our school is very small and people already know a lot of information about each other. And school it is not the place where we come to tweet our lives. School is a place where we come to learn, develop and become better citizens and people in a community where we live. I don't believe that twitter is something that might help us to achieve our goals and to get where we want to be.

    ReplyDelete